Current time: 10-19-2018, 02:11 PM
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Self Hosted Forums
08-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Self Hosted Forums
What are your view in sites that offers you to create your forum and hving it up and running in minutes? They host it for you, but many won't let you own the community database, and will have limited control over what you can do with it.

I think they are all right, specially if you are starting and just want to experiment some. It is also good for people who plan not to be bothered with learning to code or design. I think it is also allright for a small hangout community.

I'd like to hear what are your thoughts on it.

In what situations do you recommend the use of free self hosted forums?

If you don't recommend it at all, why not?
08-27-2011, 06:36 PM
RE: Self Hosted Forums
I don't recommend it at all, and I would never use it personally, simply because I like to have the control over my forum (and if I wanted to move, I could do so without incurring any extra costs for the database or whatever.)

[Image: 2d1le9c.png]
If you want to thank me, click here
07-13-2012, 06:17 AM
I would only reccomend this to a beginner way at the beginning.
Simply just to get some experience running a forum.
Years ago i used FreeForums, they then transfered the forum over to HostGator for me for a fee.
But, other forums i have or have had, i wouldnt ever use them.

Cheap SEO Services | Xbox 360 Forum | Artwork Blog | My YouTube Channel | Hire Me To Work For You!
07-13-2012, 07:38 AM
I agree with the previous comments, I think that once you know the basics of forums you start thinking about learning to change things with simple programming.

Creator of Mini Bulletin

Website Developer

Module Developer for NWE/MCC

http://script47.tk
07-13-2012, 01:11 PM
i did this thing when i was trying to learn how to use the admin CP for Extenditude.
if i would have to resort to using these types of forums i`d use it if it was something temporary like group talk or sth like that

[Image: 312jpzt.jpg]
I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in.
Press any key to continue, where's the any key?
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Seems like an idea, did it work?

Creator of Mini Bulletin

Website Developer

07-13-2012, 10:05 PM
not much since you have limited access on the CP very few things that you could change.

[Image: 312jpzt.jpg]
I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, evil stuff... and I want in.
Press any key to continue, where's the any key?
07-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Oh right... Smile

Creator of Mini Bulletin

Website Developer

07-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Your best bet is to use proper hosting and install the software yourself. If you want something to mess around on install it in a hidden/private directory or use WAMP and install it on localhost.